Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used.
Alabama State Code provides that the Sheriff of a county shall issue a qualified or unlimited license to a person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed.
Pistol Permits must be obtained from the county sheriff of your county of residence.
|Type of Permit
If you would like your permit laminated, there will be an additional $2.50 fee to your permit fee.
If you need a REPLACEMENT permit if your permit is lost, destroyed, you have moved or have changed your name, click on the REPLACEMENT link. The fee for replacement permits are $3.00.
Please note the following information:
- All communication regarding the status of your application, including the approval of your application, will be sent via the email address provided on the application.
- The Sheriff’s Office will issue or deny a Pistol License Application within 30 days of receipt of a completed application.
- The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office central office is located at 2200 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd., Birmingham, Alabama 35203.
- Permits may be picked up Monday thru Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm CST.
- Please read the requirements below before starting the application
Please note that this website has been certifed to work using the following browsers: IE 9 or higher, Firefox, Safari or Chrome.
Pistol Permit Information